What is the difference between meditation and therapy and how can they support each other? How do you start a meditation practice and what are its benefits? Trudy Goodman is a psychotherapist, founder of InsightLA, and expert meditation teacher. In this episode, Diana sits down with Trudy to discuss her twisty-turny life, including her early training with Piaget, her friendship with Jon Kabat-Zinn, and her relationship with Jack Kornfield. At the end of the episode, Trudy shares a simple practice to take mediation off the cushion and into your everyday life.
- [00:00] – Introduction
- [00:25] – About Trudy Goodman
- [03:34] – Trudy’s Early Training With Piaget
- [08:41] – Trudy’s Path To Meditation
- [13:08] – The Synergy Of Therapy And Meditation
- [20:09] – A Gentler Form Of Meditation
- [21:37] – The Difference Between Zen And Insight Meditation
- [23:39] – Finding Community In Nature
- [31:11] – Trudy’s Meditation Practice
- [32:45] – The Backward Step
- [38:15] – How To Let Go
- [42:12] – Where To Find Trudy
- [46:01] – Your Daily Practice
- [49:35] – Connect With The Podcast
- Therapy and meditation can support each other, but also offer different advantages
- Insight Meditation is a gentle form of meditation where you develop an awareness of your inner experience
- The backward step is a Zen practice to get out of conditioned response and receive what is happening in the present
- To start a meditation practice it helps to have a vetted teacher and to take a class
- Nature is a place where we can learn about letting go and can feel less alone
Relevant Resources Mentioned
Thank you for listening to Your Life in Process! If you have any questions or feedback you can email me, send me a voice message at (805) 457-2776, or message me on Instagram. Remember when you become psychologically flexible, you become free.
- Subscribe for free on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts
- Follow Diana on YouTube
- Follow Diana on Instagram
- Follow Dana on Facebook
- Diana’s Website
Thank you to my team Craig Schneider, Angela Stubbs, Ashley Hiatt, Abby Diel and to our sponsor Lightfully for making this podcast possible. Thank you to Benjamin Gould of Bell & Branchfor your beautiful music.
Stay tuned for my next episode on YLIP with Dr. Patricia Zurita Ona on how ACT can help you be a high achiever without losing yourself in the process.